The way we make, use and throwaway products in the textiles industry is unsustainable. Whether it is clothes, bags or shoes, fast fashion is fuelling a major problem. Back in 2019, found that textile production contributes more to climate change than international aviation and shipping combined. We are creating more and more chemical and plastic pollution by purchasing products that aren’t designed to last, don’t prioritise environmental sustainability and aren’t safely disposed at the end of life. This is due a traditional following of a linear approach of product life. We as a society take the materials we need, making what we need and mass amounts of waste are produced as a result. In contrast to this, we are trying to introduce a ‘circular economy’. This essentially is an economic development to benefit society, businesses and the environment. Like the name itself, it is a regenerative by design and takes production processes into consideration. It highlights how to reuse, repair, and recycle items, thus increasing sustainable manufacturing and consumption.
The UK Parliament’s research highlighted that around 300,000 tonnes of textile waste ends up in household black bins every year, sent to landfill or incinerators. In response, start-ups are emerging that do prioritise environmental sustainability, taking positive actions to counter the damage that fast fashion is causing to our planet.
1. Our ‘Return to Recycle’ scheme
- Fill out this and arrange for a free-post returns via the Royal Mail
- Place the returns note and OneNine5 product(s) into a sealed bag/ box.
- Attach the pre paid label to your parcel and drop off at your
- To say thanks, we'll send you an email with a 15% discount code off your next purchase at OneNine5.com …it’s a win-win.